Humanity should be able to get along well with the environment, the two living in harmony as one. POSCO is acutely aware of the value of keeping the environment intact for the next generation. POSCO incorporates company-wide environmental management initiatives, taking the next step beyond green business through its declaration of 'POSCO Family Global Environmental Management Directive' on December 2010 and 'the Firm of Endearment Charter' on June 2011. POSCO strives to work towards securing a sustainable and promising future for all the earth through activities to save energy and increase energy efficiency as well as by minimizing the environmental impact on communities and working to conserve existing ecosystems.
- We take the lead in the international community by building a system for POSCO-wide environmental management based on ISO14001.
- We continue to improve the environment by complying with environmental regulations and taking account of all procedures
- We minimize pollutant emissions by introducing a clean production process and applying optimized prevention technology.
- We create a recycling society and enhance eco-efficiency by making efficient use of natural resources and by-products
- We lead the Low Carbon Green Growth initiative by using clean energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible through the application of green technology
- We aim to secure business transparency by releasing the results of our environmental management efforts to achieve sustainability
With the expansion of its business areas, POSCO understands more than ever the importance of comprehensive environmental management and environmental risk management throughout our family companies. Thus, POSCO declared on December 2010 'The POSCO Family Global Environmental Management Directive' in the presence of its CEO and the CEOs of its family companies. The Directive is designed to build a comprehensive system for environmental management covering affiliate companies, suppliers, outsourcing partners and overseas businesses. POSCO has ever since been working to build a vision, strategy and execution plan to implement the principles underpinning it ever since.
The full text of the POSCO Family Global Environmental Management Directive (modified on Dec., 2010)
POSCO Family acknowledges the environment as one of the key factors behind our business strategy. We intend to secure environmental sustainability through technology development and open communication, aiming to fulfill the promise of Low Carbon, Green Growth. To this end, we will practice the following:
- POSCO Family will establish a system for its environmental management based on ISO14001 and thus take up the helm of global leadership on this issue.
- POSCO Family will continue to improve the environment by complying with all environmental regulations and holistically considering its full business procedures.
- POSCO Family will minimize pollutant emissions by introducing a clean production process and applying optimized prevention technology.
- POSCO Family will create a recycling society and work to enhance eco-efficiency by making efficient use of natural resources and by-products.
- POSCO Family will lead the Low Carbon Green Growth initiative by using clean energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions through the application of green technology.
- Family aims to secure business transparency by releasing the results of environmental management to thus achieve sustainability.